PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, May 21, 2012

A Renewed Faith...and Some Great Changes!:: Columbus, Ohio Family Photogrrapher

When I was first starting out in the photography business, I was blessed to have an amazing mentor that would share knowledge and his own tricks and secrets with me. I entered into the community thinking all photographers would be like this. I was so spoiled by Doug, that I was certain that every experienced photographer would be willing to pass on their knowledge and know-how to the up-and-comings.

Boy was I WRONG! Unfortunately, as I immersed myself into the business, attending conferences, contacting other local photogs, my bubble was burst. I soon found almost the exact opposite was true. Alot of photographers, even ones outside of my target area, are territorial and snarky.

I soon started to become disheartened. In every other industry I have worked in, you become friends with people similar to you, who do the same work as you. I couldn't comprehend why this industry was so different. There are so many different styles and tastes when it comes to custom photography, I never understood the necessity of "competition". My theory was, and still is, that if someone likes my work, they will come to me over you. And if they are only going to you because your prices are lower, well good for them, but I am not budging. I value my time and talent, and will stay true to myself AND my prices.

Well, as I started to give up on trying to make any true friends who were photographers, I met some AMAZING women at the  PPO conference. Angie and Bess broke my new stereotype of photographers. We quickly became close, and although we live a ways apart, we still talk frequently on Facebook and the phone...not as often as I would like, but maybe we can work on that:-)

Then, a beautiful photographer and woman, Katrina, contacted me. She was referred to me by an old coworker and friend. As we got to talking, she invited me to this secret group on facebook. It only took me a few minutes of reading posts and seeing who was in this group, to realize the gift Katrina had just given me!

This group is filled with some of the best photographers in the nation (in my own opinion). This group is uplifting, helpful, and positive. They don't tear each other down, they don't consider each other competition..even though ALOT of them live in the same state. I have learned SOOO much from these photographers. My faith has officially been renewed by these men and women (primarily women...lol...but that is no surprise).

Expect a lot of positive charges from Irish Eyes Photography. I will be setting up an official office for consultations, proof viewings, and ordering in the very near future. I am starting boutique packaging for my prints, custom labeled discs, and possibly a new form of media to put image files on. I REALLY want my clients to see the benefits of ordering prints, and placing wall portraits in their homes. I want my photography sessions to be an experience from beginning to end. Hang in there with me as I implement these new things, and I PROMISE you won't be disappointed.

Thank you Bess, Angela, Katrina, and ALL the wonderful photographers in FSF! I could not be doing this without you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Erin! You're the best and I'm so glad to have met you!!!!

    ReplyDelete