PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 30, 2012

I Am In Photog HEAVEN!!!!:: Columbus, Ohio Photographer

Every photographer has their wish list. A list of the next lenses they want to purchase, the next camera body they want to obtain, the props they would like to add to their collection, and even the next shoot they want to accomplish.

ALOT has been happening to my little business. I have been asked to shoot a few weddings, the newborns are rolling in, and I have my first BIG marketing "campaign" on the horizon. However, this weekend was filled with lines being drawn through my checklist!

As a portrait photographer, there were very specific lenses I wanted in my camera bag. The first one was easy to obtain. It is so lovingly called the "nifty-fifty" by photogs because of the inexpensive price tag and the amazing images you get with it, my 50mm 1.4. This was the first one I bought after starting out. It has been my main "go-to" lens for most of my shoots. However, I have been researching and even had my wish list pinned on Pintrest.

~85mm 1.8- according to my mentor, every portrait photographer should have this lens. It allows you to get intimate moments without being up in the client's face. Great for weddings!

~24-70mm 2.8L- A great "claustrophobic" lens as I like to call it. It allows for great shots in tight places where you may not be able to "back up a little further" and the aperture allows for shooting in lower light and at lower ISO and higher shutter speeds (SS), allowing for crisper images.

~ 70-200 2.8L~ this one is for close-ups from further away....for instance church weddings. Also having a great aperture allowing for non-flash photography that is sometimes required in Catholic churches.

~ Eventually the 50mm 1.2- however, this is not a MUST since I have the 1.4

~And of COURSE a full frame camera body! I want the 5D mark ii but have been debating holding off till the Mark iii comes out.

~ Canon 580 EX II flash

Call it coincidence, call it fate, but I happened to log onto craigslist, as I often do when I have the itch to buy a new piece of glass or prop, and happened upon a listing for ALL of the above! One little adjustment, however. Instead of a 5D mark ii, he was selling the original version, the 5D Mark (Mark i). It is still a full frame camera, but just the older model.  And instead of the 580, he was selling the 420 EX...once again, an older model, but still a great flash to use until I am ready to upgrade.

I started reading reviews and researching the camera. It all seemed to check out. All but one of the reviews were positive, and the negative review had comments accusing him of not being a REAL photographer because he had no clue what he was talking about. The price this man was offering ALL of this PLUS more was less than what 2 of the lenses cost. I talked to Foster about it. He asked me if I bought this package would I be set. I answered yes, other than EVENTUALLY I would sell my 50D to put towards the Mark ii..but that would be at LEAST a year or two down the road. He told me to call and haggle with the guy.

I did. I told him what I would offer ($200 less than what he had it listed for) knowing that the asking price was MORE than generous. He said he would call me back if he didn't get offered the full asking price. 20 minutes later I called him back. I couldn't risk losing this  amazing package over $200. So, yesterday, i walked into starbucks and for the price of 2 of these lenses (used) I purchased the following:

~ Canon 5D
~ 7...YES 7 extra batteries
~ DUAL battery charger
~ Not 1, not 2, but 3 memory cards! 2-8GB and 1-4GB
~ 85mm 1.8 w/ hood
~ 24-70 mm 2.8L w/ hood
~ 80-200mm 2.8L w/ hood
~ battery grip with the portrait button!
~ and a Temba Messenger Camera bag to hold everything in!

all the goods...minus the bag:-)
I could not be anymore excited! This is like photographer HEAVEN. They need a little cleaning, but other than that they are in great working order. The camera has less than 20,000 photos taken so far with it, and has a LONG life ahead of it:-) Now I won't have to rent back up equipment for weddings because I have it all available on hand!

That is not all! I have been pining over SMALL antique lounging couches for months. I think it would be PRECIOUS to put a newborn on one, or even a 1yr-18 month baby on it. I have seen a few in antique stores, but their pricetags read $300+. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw a local auction house would be selling one w/ a starting bid of $20! I signed up for online bidding, and waited anxiously for hours as the lot number approached. The bidding began. I was willing to pay up to $150 for it. I won! Total price: $80!!!!!!!! I can't WAIT to use it this weekend on a little newborn girl I have scheduled:-)


my beautiful child's fainting couch
As you can tell, I had a GREAT weekend! I am so excited to play around with all my new toys this week!!!

2 comments: