PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 9, 2012

Pro Print vs. Supermarket Prints

One of the topics I hear brought up a lot is why pay for professional prints instead of getting the disc and printing them off at one of your local pharmacies or grocery stores?

I had a friend learn this lesson the hard way recently. I had done a mini session with their family for Christmas photos. When I sent them the disc, I told them I would suggest a good online print place, or I would assist them in printing at my processor. A few days later I received an email saying the prints looked awful. That they had gone to one of the local bulk stores and ordered online through them.

I am not sure if many of you are aware, but many online ordering places will automatically condense photo files to a more manageable size. When I download files onto DVDs for my clients, I have not only full sized files (which can reach upwards of 15MB per file), but I also include condensed versions to put on their facebook profiles and other online social networks. That condensed file is approximately the size that online printers will automatically downsize to if you don't turn the option off before downloading the images to their site. This unfortunately makes larger prints seem grainy and pixilated, which is exactly what happened to their photos. They came to me, I had them printed off at my processor, and they admitted there was a HUGE difference!

Another plus to using professional processors to print your photos is because they usually have an auto color correct. Sure, I calibrate my screen, but sometimes stuff happens, and my colors on my computer may be off. What I see on my screen may not be what prints off if not corrected, and may even look different on your screen. Their correction makes it so the skin tones are appropriate.

Of course then there is always the quality of the paper. Pro paper will last a lifetime or more. The paper is made to resist fading and deterioration. Most supermarket's basic paper is not like this. Sure, you can always upgrade to their premium prints, but why when the pro prints are about the same price online.

I found an online example of the actual image versus the supermarket print (because this is discussed a lot in the photography world). You tell me which one you would want hanging on your wall. I know as a photographer, I would rather my art be printed on quality paper, because your home is my gallery, and I would LOVE for my photos to look the best they can for you.



I know, I know...."Erin, WHERE do I go then?!?" If you want quality prints, of COURSE you can go through me:-) However, I know this isn't always the most convenient. It takes my processor up to a week to print and sometimes longer if there are special techniques, requests being done to the photos. SO, if you are the type who prefers to do print shopping online, use mpix.com. It is one of the most used sites of professional photographers as well. Their prices are reasonable, and the quality is amazing! I had the pleasure of walking into a clients house recently. I looked around, and my photos were EVERYWHERE!!! She said she had printed off mpix and had loved the results, even though she had to pay a little more than if she had gone to her local supermarket. I was soooo honored that she had used a quality printer, AND I was honored that soooo many of my shots were around her home. I am serious, I felt like I could have a gallery opening in her living room:-) I LOVED IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment